Tips for Your Hardwood Floors in Billings, MT
Floor Refinishing & Installation
Care of your floors starts with knowing from our crew or estimator what time you may re-enter your home or building. Enter only after that time in stocking feet and open the windows to ventilate the area (see page on ventilation), then leave the home/building immediately. If the floor is still tacky to the touch, do not enter the area and please call us. Re-enter about 4-6 hours later. Treat newly finished floors with care, especially during the first 2-3 weeks. Wait 24 hours before entering with shoes. Wait for at least 3 days before putting heavy furniture on the floor. All furniture will need felt pads on legs before being placed on the floor.
Rolling casters need a floor pad, as they do a lot of wear on the wood floors. Allow 3 weeks before covering floors with area rugs of any kind. Make sure to put a rubber pad specifically for area rugs under it to prevent slippage.
Never Wax a Swedish Finish Floor
Cleaning & Maintenance
Sweep with a broom, dust mop, “dry” Swiffer, or vacuum with a wide brush attachment. Do not use spray-type dusting aids. After 3 weeks, you may wash your floor with a damp sponge mop or well rung cloth, using cool water and white vinegar. Ratio: about 1/2 cup white vinegar to one-gallon water. Wipe dry with a towel, if you prefer. We also do recoating of floors that have been previously Swedish finished for a fraction of the cost and the mess of having them resanded. This extends the life of the wood floor and gives it a like-new shine. It will soften scuff marks from wear but will not correct scratches in the wood, dents, or discoloration due to contact with water. This works wonders for a floor if it has been maintained properly, which means it has never been waxed, cleaned with any soaps, or had foreign material on it such as (but not limited to): dusting aids, hair spray, painting products, or oils such as Murphy’s Oil Soap.
After Soft Touch Design has applied the Glitsa Swedish System on your hardwood floors, it is necessary for the area to be sufficiently ventilated to remove any remaining solvents or odors. Ventilation is the exchange of the home’s ambient air, containing evaporated solvents, with fresh air from the outdoors. Ventilation is required to dissipate the remaining solvent odors because they will ultimately disturb the occupants. Exposure to heavy concentrations of solvent fumes can cause headaches, nausea, or respiratory problems.
You should begin ventilating approximately twelve hours after the finish has been applied. This time can vary depending on temperature, humidity, and film thickness on the floor. In general, the floor should be dry to the touch so airborne dust particles will not settle and stick to the new finish. The determination of how soon to ventilate should be left to the floor finishing mechanic or contractor responsible for the floor.
The best method of ventilation is to open doors and windows that are on opposite sides of the newly finished area. Using box or attic fans to help move the outside air is a very useful tool. Because the solvent fumes can migrate throughout the home or building in areas that were not finished with Glitsa, it is prudent to ventilate the entire structure. Remember that some of the solvents that are used in Glitsa are heavier than air and will flow downward unless adequately ventilated. The nature of a solvent is to evaporate and diffuse into the ambient air. If fresh air is available the solvent will always escape. The only time that solvents and the accompanying odors remain is when there is inadequate ventilation. A good rule of thumb is that if you can still smell solvents, then you need to ventilate the rooms better.
It is a common misconception that turning up the heat or air-conditioning will remove the solvents from the house. This is not true. If the air inside the house is not exchanged with fresh air from outside, the solvents and their accompanying odors will continue to circulate through the home and its air ducts and furnace filters.
In most cases, following adequate ventilation, the structure can be occupied 24 hours after the finish has been applied. The finish will continue to cure over the next 2-4 weeks, depending on temperature, humidity, and ventilation. During this time, it is sometimes possible for the occupant to notice a slight odor. If an odor is noticed, then providing adequate ventilation will remove trace odors. Individuals who are especially sensitive to solvents should allow more time to elapse before returning to the home. During this time, it is important to continue to ventilate.
This information has been provided by Glitsa American.